Media coverage of current criminal cases under the representation of Bob Buckingham Law.
Trevor Pardy - First Degree Murder Charge
- November 4, 2014 - The Telegram - 'Trevor Pardy murder trial set for June'
- October 12, 2014 - VOCM - 'Crown now negotiating fee with lawyer Buckingham'
- October 11, 2014 - The Telegram - 'AG, lawyer work out new pay rate in murder case'
- October 11, 2014 - VOCM - 'Pardy ruling not seen as slight against Legal Aid'
- October 10, 2014 - CBC Here and Now - Coverage of Trevor Pardy case (coverage begins at 48:31)
- October 10, 2014 - CBC - 'Trevor Pardy granted appeal for his choice of lawyer'
- October 10, 2014 - The Telegram - 'Accused murderer's trial stayed until lawyer paid private rates: ruling'
- October 10, 2014 - VOCM - 'Pardy Granted Appeal to Have Governement Pay for Preferred Lawyer'
- May 22, 2013 - CBC News - 'No money for Pardy to pay for lawyer'.
- May 15, 2013 - CBC News -'Pardy gets lawyer-of-choice to argue application'
- April 30, 2013 - CBC News - 'Lawyer wants Legal Aid to pay more for Pardy Case'
- April 10, 2013 - CBC News - 'Pardy closer to finding new lawyer'.
Pamela Pike - First Degree Murder Charge
- Jun 15, 2013 - Advertiser - 'Murder Case set over'
- May 22, 2013 - VOCM - 'Accused Murderer Doesn't Appear in Court'
- May 23, 2013 - VOCM - 'Lawyer waiting on disclosure in murder case'
David Ryan - 2nd Degree Murder Charge (2nd Trial)
- May 3, 2013 - NTV - 'Defense Lawyer worried lack of jury space will mean more delays.'
- April 1, 2013 - The Telegram - 'Accused has to wait a year for retrial on second-degree murder charge'
- January 2, 2013 - Bob Buckingham representing David Ryan in new trial ordered by Court of Appeal
- February 16, 2012 - CanLII - Court of Appeal Decision - David Ryan
- January 13, 2015 - NTVnews.ca - 'Murder suspect found mentally fit to stand trial'
- January 28, 2015 - The Telegram - 'Man accused in fatal stabbing will have bail hearing next month'
- February 3, 2015 - The Telegram - 'Bail hearing postponed for accused murderer'
- February 16, 2015 - The Telegram - 'Man accused of murdering chicken farm coworker has bail hearing postponed until this afternoon'
Dr. Stephen John Collins/United Church of Canada
- December 4, 2014 - The Nor'wester - 'Bible society unaware of former minister's pedophilia conviction'
- November 22, 2014 - The Telegram - 'Sex abuse by minister led to suicide attempts: civil claim'
- November 15, 2014 - The Telegram - 'Jane Doe case OK'd against former clergy'
- November 8, 2014 - The Telegram - 'Investigation into doctor's activities concluded too soon: lawyer'
Medical Records Privacy Breach
- November 18, 2014 - The Telegram - 'Judge allows grounds for class action'
- September 14, 2012 - CBC News - 'Privacy Breach Penalties Should Be Enforced'
- September 8, 2012 - Winnipeg Free Press - 'Dozens of patient records breached, says Newfoundland health board'
- September 8, 2012 - VOCM - 'Another Privacy Breach at Eastern Health'
- August 23, 2012 - CBC News - 'My Ex's Wife Snooped Into My Health Records, Woman Says'
- August 21, 2012 - CBC News - 'Liberal Health Critic Among Privacy Breach Victims'
- August 20, 2012 - CBC News - 'Privacy Breach Triggers Lawsuit'
- August 17, 2012 - VOCM - 'Class Action Launched Against Western Health'
- August 17, 2012 - CBC News - 'Privacy Breach Lawsuit Launched Against Western Health'
- August 17, 2012 - Western Star - 'Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Western Health'
- August 2, 2012 - CBC News - '2 Remaining N.L. Health Boards Confirm Privacy Breaches'
- August 1, 2012 - NTV News - 'Western Health Fires Employee After Another Privacy Breach'
- August 1, 2012 - CBC News - 'Massive Breach at 2nd Newfoundland Health Authority'
- July 31, 2012 - NTV News - 'Victim of Eastern Health Privacy Breach Speaks Out'
- July 30, 2012 - CBC News - 'Charges Won't Be Pursued in Eastern Heath Privacy Breach'
- July 26, 2012 - CBC News - 'Fired Nurse Says She Did Nothing Wrong in Viewing Files'
- July 25, 2012 - CBC News - 'Five Employees Fired After Eastern Health Privacy Breaches'
- July 25, 2012 - The Telegram - 'Nurse Fired After Patients' Records Breached at Eastern Health'
Canada Student Loan Privacy Breach
- March 20, 2014 - The Telegram - 'Student-loans class action certified'
- July 3, 2013 - Canada.com - "Equifax takes feds to court to keep contact costs a secret"
- June 10, 2103 - CBC News - 'Government warned before loss of Student Loan, CPP data'
- April 9, 2013 - National Post - 'Missing government hard drive also contained business plans, financial information of thousands of Canadians, emails suggest'
- January 30, 2013 - Canada.com - 'NDP looks to summon Diane Finley before Commons committee over Student Loan Data Breach"
- January 26, 2013 - CBC News - 'Level of credit protection unclear in wake of lost personal data'
- January 26, 2013 - The Telegram - 'Government to cover cost of credit protection in privacy breach a positive step: lawyer'
- January 26, 2013 - VOCM - 'Feds Offer Credit Protection for Students'
- January 25, 2013 - CBC News - 'Free credit checks offered after student-loans data loss'
- January 25, 2013 - Winnipeg Free Press - 'Federal government offers free credit protection to privacy breach victims'
- January 22, 2013 - CBC News - 'Human Resources Canada faces 4 lawsuits over lost data'
- January 22, 2013 - The Southern Gazette - 'Unacceptable and avoidable'
- January 21, 2012 - The Varsity - 'Class action lawsuit filed over student privacy breach'
- January 21, 2013 - Advisor.ca - 'Government faces lawsuits over lost student data'
- January 21, 2013 - The Western Star - 'Privacy breach likely result of job cuts: Stringer'
- January 19, 2013 - Regina Leader-Post - 'Students report identity thefts'
- January 19, 2013 - VOCM - 'Buckingham Seeks Meeting with Minister'
- January 19, 2013 - CBC - 'Lawyer calls for meeting about student privacy breach'
- January 18, 2013 - Globe and Mail - 'Government faces class-action lawsuits over student loan borrowers' lost data'
- January 18, 2013 - CBC - 'Concern rises over major student loan security breach'
- January 18, 2013 - Canada.com - 'Some student loan borrowers report identity theft in the wake of privacy breach'
- January 17, 2013 - CTV News - 'RCMP Probes Privacy Breach" (VIDEO)
- January 17, 2013 - CBC Power & Politics - 'Lawyer Bob Buckingham Talks About His Class Action Lawsuit' (VIDEO, DailyMotion)
- January 17, 2013 - Macleans.ca - 'Lawsuit filed over missing student loan information'
- January 17, 2013 - Global News - 'Class action lawsuit pursued in wake of privacy breach'
- January 17, 2013 - CBC News - 'Free credit checks sought after 'unprecedented' data loss'
- January 16, 2013 - Reuters Canada - 'Missing data on half a million Canadian student loans to draw suit'
- January 16, 2013 - VOCM - 'Lawyer calls privacy breach 'significant'"
- January 15, 2013 - NTV News - 'Class-action lawsuit planned for student loan privacy breach' (VIDEO)
- January 15, 2013 - Toronto Star - 'Class action lawsuit launched against government over missing student loan info'
- January 15, 2013 - VOCM - '18 Thousand Newfoundlanders and Labradorians Affected by Privacy Breach'
- January 14, 2013 - The Varsity - 'Feds lost data for hundreds of thousands of students'
- January 12, 2013 - Edmonton Journal - 'Ottawa Loses Data on 580,000 Student Loan Borrowers'
- January 12, 2013 - CTV News - 'RCMP Investigating after Ottawa loses data on 583,000 students'
- January 11, 2013 - The National Post - 'We've lost personal information for more than half a million borrowers: Canada Student Loans'
- January 10, 2013 - CBC News - 'Watchdog Launches Probe into Federal Privacy Breach'
Christian Brothers – United States Bankruptcy Proceedings Settlement
- May 24, 2013 -The Telegram - 'New Settlement Includes Mount Cashel Victims'
- May 24, 2013 - Bob Buckingham Press Release
- May 24, 2013 - CBC News - 'Mount Cashel Abuse Settlement sets stage for more suits'
- May 24, 2013 - Huffington Post - 'Mount Cashel abuse settlement sets stage for more suits'
- May 23, 2013 - Press Release of Statement of the Christian Brothers Bankruptcy - Los Angeles, Ca
- May 23, 2013 - CBC - 'Mount Cashel abuse survivors win financial settlement'
- Jul 12, 2012 - CBC - Bob Buckingham interview with Bernice Hillier of West Coast Morning Show
- May 31, 2011 - Seattle Times - 'Christian Brothers order puts assets at $74M in bankruptcy papers'
Justice in Review
An overview of news stories relating to the renaming of Newfoundland and Labrador's Department of Justice in late September/early October 2014 including interviews with Lawyer Bob Buckingham.
- October 14, 2014 – VOCM – 'Renaming Justice Department Concerning Despite Flip-Flop'
- October 13, 2014 – The Telegram - 'Davis does about face, renames department 'Justice and Public Safety'
- October 13, 2014 – The Western Star - 'Davis says he put justice back to clear up confusion'
- October 12, 2014 – CBC - 'CBC On Point: Department name changes, and calling for an election
- October 12, 2014 – CBC - 'Paul Davis says feedback, concern prompted name change'
- October 11, 2014 – CBC - 'Mixed review of province adding justice to department name'
- October 11, 2014 – VOCM - 'Lawyers Like Restoration of Justice'
- October 11, 2014 – The Western Star - 'Premier Davis includes Justice to new portfolio name after criticism'
- October 10, 2014 – CBC -'Paul Davis backtracks on Public Safety department name'
- October 10, 2014 – VOCM - 'Bar Association Concerned about Justice Department Changes'
- October 10, 2014 – The Prince George Citizen - 'Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Reverses Decision on Justice Department'
- October 10, 2014 – CBC - Lawyers Question Revamping of Justice Department
- October 10, 2014 – The Western Star - 'Premier decides to include Justice in name of new department'
- October 10, 2014 – VOCM - 'Premier Restores Name of Department of Justice'
- October 3, 2014 – The Telegram - 'Recent crimes in Newfoundland spurred Public Safety rebrand, new minister says'
- October 2, 2014 – Metro News - 'Newfoundland crime changing: new minister'
- October 1, 2014 – CBC News - 'Tom Rideout calls Paul Davis appointments political madness'
- October 1, 2014 – The Gulf News - 'Davis draws criticism for appointing unelected minister
- September 30, 2014 – NL Government Media Release - 'Premier Paul Davis Unveils New Cabinet, Innovative Approach'
Decriminalization of Marijuana
Lawyer Bob Buckingham speaks to the media about outdated laws and the decriminalization of marijuana.
- Aug 29, 2013 - CBC News - 'Marijuana tickets foolish, pro-legalization lawyer says'
- Aug 29, 2013 - CBC News - 'Weed Control: Lawyer Bob Buckingham calls for decriminalization of marijuana'
- Aug 29, 2013 - VOCM - 'Lawyer Says Scrap Outdated Marijuana Laws'
Past News Stories
- September 21, 2012 - NTV News - "New Trial for Hart Gets Swift Reaction"
- September 20, 2012 - VOCM - "Lawyer Speaks on Hart Appeal"
Youth Mental Health - Newfoundland Cases
- October 24, 2008 - CBC News - 'Distraught mothers decry lack of N.L. services for suicidal teens'
- December 15, 2008 - CBC News - 'Teen patient transferred in handcuffs for psychiatric care'
- November 19, 2009 - CBC News - 'Teen psyciatric patient tries suicide after release'
- January 7, 2009 - CBC News - 'Inquiry needed into youth mental health services: lawyer'
- December 2, 2009 - CBC News - 'Suicidal teen's medical care to be reviewed'